Technical writing is one of the fastest-growing industries. That’s why technical writing certifications can open up countless new avenues and unearth career opportunities for both professional and freelance writers.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, technical writing jobs are expected to grow by 7% between 2019 and 2029. On average, this growth rate is faster than the rest of the job industry.
So, if you’re a beginner or a seasoned technical writer, you can advance your career by learning more about the industry. Thanks to the internet, you do not have to enroll in any college or university to study technical writing. There are many reputable online programs that offer complete training and accredited and recognized certification. A few of these programs not only offer coaching but also help you assess your career options.
Here is a review of some of the best technical writing certification programs available online.
Table of Contents
1. One Week Technical Writing Certification Course
Technical Writer HQ features top-level online certifications geared towards professionals who want to level up their technical writing careers. The one week technical writer certification program teaches you the foundation of the technical writer role and the technical writing skills you need grow your career.
The One Week Technical Writing Course is a well-recognized credential that helps professionals in starting and growing their technical writing career. Here are just a few things you'll lean in this certification course:
- Build your skillset in technical writing
- Build your technical writer network
- Craft a a great technical writer resume and online presence
- Ace the technical writer interview
- API Writing
- How to Write White Papers
- How to Write User Manuals
- How to Write Case Studies
- Create a successful job search strategy
The key features of Technical Writer HQ are:
- Offers self-paced learning.
- Homework for every module.
- Extensive resources and video material.
The One Week Technical Writer is an affordable certification at the cost of $199.
The One Week Technical Writer Certification is one of the most renowned online certification programs. It is also one of the few created by a well-renowned technical writer. The certification was designed by Josh Fechter who's the founder of Squibler, a writing software. He has been writing software tutorials, manuals, handbooks, and white papers for over eight years. His technical writing has been praised by LinkedIn's and Facebook's engineering team, Reuters, Inc., and Forbes.
To learn more visit Technical Writer HQ
2. Coursera Technical Writing Certification
Coursera is one of the leading educational platforms available online. All the courses on Coursera are taught by top instructors and technical communicators from the world's top universities and educational institutions. The platform offers over 5,300 courses including technical writing. The program is recognized by employers all over the globe.
Here is what you will learn through Coursera:
- Fundamentals of technical writing and workplace-related issues.
- How to use graphical tools to efficiently deliver a large amount of complex information.
- Technical report writing guidelines.
- Understanding the audience and purpose of your technical documents.
- How to create technical documents such as instruction manuals, lab reports, research reports, and recommendation & feasibility reports.
The key features of Coursera are:
- It offers the option of self-paced learning.
- You will have to take multiple quizzes.
- Instructors will give you grades and their feedback.
- The program offers video and reading material.
- Financial aid is available.
- you can join the course for free.
Most of the courses offer a 7-day free trial period. On average, a course can cost anywhere between $39-$79 per month. The technical writing course starts at $49 once your trial period is over.
Coursera is one of the most renowned online certification programs. It is also one of the few that offer financial aids to students who cannot afford to pay in full. The technical writing course is taught by the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology. The course has five modules, each containing detailed information. You will receive an accredited certificate after successfully completing the course.
3. Society for Technical Communication (STC)
STC is one of the oldest and largest associations on the internet. It offers three major programs in technical communication including a technical writing certificate program. The members of STC can complete their certification through online courses only. Apart from certification for technical writers, STC also offers Technical Communicators certification.
Depending on the course you select, it will take you between 2-6 months to pass the certification program. The STC members include managers, practitioners, academics, and students.
The STC certification is three-tied that offers different stages of learning and education. These stages are Foundation, Practitioner, and Expert.
The exam covers the following key areas:
- Project Planning & Analysis
- Content Development
- Written Communication
- Organizational Design
- Reviewing & Editing
- Visual Communication
- Production Delivery
- Content Management
The key features of STC include:
- You will learn communication about specialized or technical content.
- Advance your career by learning the latest technical communication tools.
- The certification is recognized by reputable employers all over the world.
- STC holds an annual technical conference that offers the latest technical information to its participants. The conference is one of the most-attended events in technical communication.
- The Foundation Certification will help you get field knowledge.
- The Practitioner Certification teaches you to apply the best possible practices in technical communication.
- The Expert Certification will require expert interviews and work products.
- STC gives you access to many educational opportunities.
- The professional certification program also helps you transform your chosen career and advertise your business.
STC is considered to be an affordable program. You will have to pay an enrollment fee of $15. The program offers different memberships including:
- Gold Membership - You can become a Gold member for $395.
- Professional & Academic - It requires $225.
- Retired - $145.
- Student - $75.
- New Professional - $180.
STC is an affordable certification program that offers professional knowledge and its application. It helps to improve the communication and writing skills of both new students and current technical writers. The technical writing program teaches you how to extract usable content from complex information. You can learn through its webinars, online courses, and other related academic courses. As a member, you can also access the course's publications, job database, the annual report on salary, Technical Communication and Intercom among other benefits.
Communicaid is an online program that offers technical writing courses. The certification program will teach you to break down complex information into readable documents through effective writing. Communicaid uses specifically tailored courses and training formats for individuals and organizations to help them excel in their careers. From business writing to punctuation & grammar courses, the program covers a wide range of categories.
This online training course is ideal for:
- Scientists and engineers who need to write technical reports.
- Professionals who need to deliver technical customer specifications.
- Professionals who need to write contract proposals containing technical and complex information.
You can access all the courses throughout the week, which allows you to pick a format that suits your schedule.
The course focuses on the following key areas:
- Planning techniques
- Audience analysis
- Signposting to offer reader support
- Charts, graphics, and numbers presentation
- The right use of technical terms in technical documents.
- How to explain complex ideas
- Structure and layout
The key features of Communicaide include:
- You will get the necessary knowledge and skills to write readable technical documents.
- The course provides an effective structuring and planning framework for technical documents.
- You will learn effective tools to explain complex technical writing jobs into simpler tasks for your non-technical audience.
- Your instructor will offer a well-balanced course with structural input and practical tasks for hands-on experience.
- Communicaid offers diagnostic consultancy after which you get your trainer based on your goals.
- You will learn to understand your audience better.
- The course offers tailormade courses to improve your technical writing ability.
- You will be better equipped to edit and improve the readability of complex information.
- The program offers in-house training.
- You can get one-day training, webinars, and coaching programs.
The website does not mention any pricing. You have to submit a proposal or contact a Communicaide representative to get a quote or information about the cost of each course. The pricing is decided according to your requirements and the nature and duration of your course.
Communicaid offers hundreds of courses for business technical writing for learners across the globe. The company specially designs its courses to help you overcome technical communication challenges. It offers training programs, one-day workshops, and webinars, etc. to individuals, groups, and organizations. You can take the course face-to-face or online. You will have to get in touch with the company representative for pricing and scheduling.
5. Udemy Technical Writer Certification
Udemy is a popular program that offers technical writing courses to new learners. The program teaches you the basics such as technical writing principles and how to create your first-ever user guide and document template. Udemy does not have any strict requirements, you just need to have a Windows PC and Microsoft Word and Office.
The course is ideal for new technical writers, developers, engineers, web content writers, and college students, etc.
The key areas covered by Udemy include:
- It teaches you the difference between technical writing and business writing.
- Documentation plan writing.
- Using tables and flowcharts in technical documents.
- Fundamentals of audience analysis.
- Basic techniques for technical writing.
- Basic techniques for technical editing.
The key features of Udemy include:
- The program offers a 6-hour long training video.
- Udemy has 107 lectures for learners.
- Resource files include PDF ebooks, exercise and solution sheets, and 40 supplement PDF documents.
- An instructor will personally check your final assignment.
- The course offers different quizzes to test your progress and skill.
- You can download the Udemy app on your phone and access it whenever you want.
The beginner-level technical writing course is available for $199.99 with a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can also get occasional special coupons and discounts. Udemy also offers other technical writing courses with individual pricing.
Udemy's high-demand beginner-level writing course is ideal for starters. It teaches you the fundamentals of technical writing. To enroll in this course, you will have to know basic English grammar as it does not teach the language. The course provides you with all the necessary learning and reading material, so, you do not have to buy additional books and journals.
Techwriter-Certification is another popular online certification program designed exclusively for technical writers. The program is designed for corporate employees, individuals, military personal, consultants and, and government. At the end of the course, you will receive an accredited technical writing certificate from a prestigious university. Techwriter-Certification offers different levels of courses including:
- Basic certification for technical writers.
- Certification for editors, consultants, and current technical writers.
- Comprehensive Career Builder Certificate
- Certificate in Professional Technical Communication.
- Certificate for Structured Writing for Technical Documentation.
- Certification course for Writers at Work.
The key features of Techwriter-Certification include:
- The program offers tailormade training programs.
- The program's each course has three levels, basic, intermediate, and advanced.
- To ensure progress, you get assignments and quizzes, which are assessed by your instructors.
- At the end of successfully completing your course, the program generates a badge for you that shows the skills you learned during the course.
The pricing varies according to the type of course you select.
Basic Certificate in Technical Writing and Certification for Editors, Consultants, and Current Technical writers are priced at $975.00.
- Comprehensive Career Builder Certificate for Technical Writers is priced at $2,399.00.
- Certification for Professional Technical Communication is priced at $1,200.00.
- Certificate for Structured Writing for Technical Documentation is priced at $349.00.
- Writer at Work Technical Writers is priced at $645.00.
In case you cannot finish the course on time, you can also apply for an extension. For an extension of one month you will pay $149, for two months $179, and for three months $199.
Techwriter-Certification is designed for beginners or current technical writers who want to learn advanced techniques. The course you select will offer tailormade training at the end of which you will receive an accredited certificate. Each course has three levels including basic, intermediate, and advanced. You can opt for the level that suits your needs and expertise. You have to complete your course in a given time period. Requesting an extension on your course will cost you money but you can get up to three extra months to complete the program.
Advance Your Career with a Technical Writing Certification
Thanks to the fast-paced technology, industries are constantly evolving. It is not just about experience anymore, you must evolve at your industry's pace. Your skills, knowledge, and the tools you use need constant upgrading.
This is where online technical writing courses can make all the difference.
These courses not only improve knowledge but also offer certificates that endorse your skills. A recognized certificate can take your career a step further and give you a better chance of getting noticed by employers. They give you an edge over your competitors.
To make the most of these certification courses, you have to first select the one that is related to your field. Another important thing to consider while choosing a course is to make sure it offers you something new. Learning what you already know will not help you progress in your career.
Choosing the right technical writing course can give your career the right push.