6 Best Data Analyst Certifications 2022 | Reviews and Pricing
Data analytics is one of the fastest-growing global industries. The demand for big data analytics is expected to cross $68.09 billion by 2025 and the global data analytics market is expected to reach $77.64 billion by 2023. With this rise in the use of data analytics, there is a significant increase in the number of jobs in the data science and analytics market.
If you want to start your career as a data analyst, getting a certification is one of the best ways to improve your chances of getting hired. A data analyst certification measures your skill and knowledge and helps you showcase your skill set to employers. Relevant certifications help you get hired fast.
Here is a review of the best data analyst certification including data analytics cert that will help you with decision-making and choosing the one that’s right for you.
Table of Contents
DataCamp is the number one data analytics certification program. It has an extensive and diverse curriculum with courses that cater to your career in data analysis, from Python programmers all the way through Data Scientists. Regardless of whether you're a beginner or have been playing around for years, DataCamp's got something for every data career path on their platform; it essentially offers "one-in-all" learning materials.
DataCamp has a variety of certifications for professionals who want to accelerate their careers in various fields, and they're tailored specifically to those specialties. If you're interested in pursuing an analytics career but don't know where to start or what skills are needed, here are some of certifications that they offer:
- Data Analysis in Excel
- Data Analysis in Spreadsheets
- Exploratory Data Analysis in Python
- Exploratory Data Analysis in SQL
- Exploratory Data Analysis in R
- Bayesian Data Analysis in Python
- SQL, Python, and R certifications for professionals
- The certificate suits people from diverse backgrounds including product managers, developers, designers, and business analysts
- The largest community of data professionals
- It helps you showcase your data analysis skills
- It has the most complete ecosystem for learning anything data
The DataCamp website features different data analyst certifications that range from basic to more complex case studies. You can choose a free membership if you're looking for something simple, or go with an unlimited yearly plan at $25 per month if you want all the tools of the trade.
DataCamp certificates expand your portfolio and help you gain a competitive edge in the job market. New data analyst skills are valuable, so it makes sense to add them even if they don't come with immediate benefits. Plus, they're affordable with DataCamp.
2. Microsoft Certified: Data Analyst Associate
Microsoft offers one of the leading data analyst certifications. The Data Analyst Associate is an ideal certificate for people who want to become a data analyst. You need to pass the DA-100 exam to get the certification. Here is an overview of the skills that are measured during the exam:
- Data prep
- Data modeling
- Data visualization
- Data analysis
- Maintain deliverables
The data analyst associate is a replacement of the Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Data Management and Analytics certification that is set to retire in January 2021. It is focused on Power BI which is the business analytics service offered by Microsoft. So, the first thing you need to ensure is that you know the basics of Power BI and you are interested in using it as the core data visualization tool.
The key features of the Microsoft data analyst associate certificate include:
- A powerful data analyst certificate that is most likely to land you a decent data analyst job
- You'll learn everything about Power BI – a tool that will help you throughout your career
- Full exam preparation outline and material available
- Online vs. instructor-led learning options
- Available in four languages (English, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese)
- The exam consists of MCQs and case studies and has a duration of 180 minutes
- The certificate has no expiry.
The cost for a Microsoft data analyst associate certificate is $165 and it may vary depending on your location. It is a reasonably priced certification that delivers a lot of value.
It is an intermediate level certification and is suitable for those who have a background in data analytics. Passing the exam and getting a certificate isn’t really a big deal as you have all the material available online for free that you need to prep.
3. Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Scientist Associate
Azure Data Scientist Associate is a certificate for people who want to become a data scientist or are already working as a data scientist and want to learn about Azure. Microsoft Azure is the cloud computing service and certification ensures that you are able to design and run Azure environments. Machine learning is an essential part of the exam.
Here is an overview of the skills that the exam measures:
- Setting up Azure machine learning workspace
- Running experiments and models
- Model optimization
- Deployment and consumption of models.
Having a certificate means that you are able to deal effectively with Azure and model optimization. It is an ideal certificate for data analysts who want to learn Azure and add more diverse skills to their portfolio.
The key features of the Azure certification are:
- Learn and master everything about Azure and managing hybrid cloud infrastructure
- Free online exam preparation material with a complete learning path
- Learn how to create predictive models without coding
- Advance your career in the data analyst or data science field
- Instructor-led learning opportunity
- No expiry date of the certificate
- Available in four languages: English, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese.
The Azure certification is priced at $165 that turns out to be quite affordable as compared to other data analyst certifications. The price may vary slightly depending on your country.
A certificate from Microsoft is considered valuable and is most likely to help you at your workplace. It is ideal to add a new skill and tool to your portfolio at a fair price. It might not help you land a relevant job right away but the certificate will help you improve your skills.
4. SAS Certified Advanced Analytics Professional Using SAS 9
Do you prefer working with SAS as your analytics solution? The Advanced Analytics Professional Certification is your best bet to showcase your big data analytics and predictive modeling skills. It is a professional certificate and is for candidates who have previous experience of working with SAS.
You'll need to pass three exams to get the Advanced Analytics Professional Using SAS 9:
- Predictive Modeling Using SAS Enterprise Miner 7, 13, or 14
- SAS Advanced Predictive Modeling
- SAS Text Analytics, Time Series, Experimentation, and Optimization.
SAS provides you with learning material for the certificate that includes 9 online courses, 3 certification exams, and unlimited access to the material for a year.
Here is a list of the key features of this advanced analytics certification by SAS:
- A professional certification that showcases a diverse set of technical skills
- It requires you to take 3 exams to qualify for the certificate ensuring you know everything about data analytics, SAS, predictive modeling, and machine learning
- Your name will be added to the certified professional directory maintained by SAS
- High-quality learning material that gives you full access to cloud software so you can get hands-on experience to clear exams
- Real-world cases studies and full online e-learning course material simplify the learning process
- Personalized training for helping you clear your exams.
The total price of the three exams is $610 and if you opt for the training material it will cost you $1,295 per year which includes the exam vouchers and online courses. Yes, it turns out to be pricey when compared to Microsoft’s certifications but it is a professional certificate that is more likely to open several new doors for you.
The SAS Certified Advanced Analytics Professional Using SAS 9 will help you get a job as its highly specialized and advanced certificate that not a lot of data analysts have. It is for experienced individuals who have at least 6 months of previous experience in programming in SAS or any other language. If you qualify, the investment is worth every penny.
5. Cloudera Certified Associate Data Analyst
Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Data Analyst is an ideal certification for SQL developers. The exam measures your skills to deal effectively with Hadoop data and generating reports in a CDH environment with the help of hive and impala. It is an advanced certification that’s suitable for people having prior experience with SQL.
Cloudera provides you with full training that is a four-day data analyst training. It will prepare you for the exam by covering the full course material. You must have prior knowledge or experience working with SQL and Linux command line.
Here is an overview of the key CCA data analyst certification:
- An advanced SQL certification for professionals
- The certificate suits people from diverse backgrounds including data analysts, developers, system architects, and database administrators
- Real-world problem resolution in the exam
- It helps you showcase your data analysis and SQL skills
- It comes with complete training that is helpful for entry-level data analysts and fresh graduates.
The exam price is $295 making it expensive than Microsoft’s certifications. If you want to opt for the data analyst training, it will cost you $3,195 for virtual classes and $2,235 for on-demand.
Cloudera data analyst certification is a highly specialized and professional cert for SQL developers who want to take their data analytics and management skills to the next level. The cost of the training program is high but it isn’t necessary to go for it. If you know your way around SQL, Hadoop, and Linux, you can jump straight to the exam.
6. Amazon Web Services Big Data Specialty Certification
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Big Data Specialty Certification is a professional big data certification for candidates having at least two years of experience as a big data analyst or data analyst via AWS technology. It is a dedicated role-based certification that helps you improve your skills related to AWS services.
Here is an overview of the skills that this certificate measures and endorses:
- Understanding of AWS big data services
- Design, maintenance, and implementation of big data architecture
- Ability to use tools to automate data analysis.
There are certain prerequisites and recommended skillset to qualify for the exam:
- You must have AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner cert or any of the Associate-level certification
- Background in big data analytics and AWS big data services
- At least 5 years of experience in data analytics
This shows how advanced this certification is. You need quite a few things to qualify for the exam.
The core AWS big data specialty certification features include:
- An advanced certificate in big data analytics from a reputable organization
- You get exclusive access to AWS certified global community on LinkedIn
- You get digital badges that you can use on your website and social media accounts to showcase your skills
- Exclusive access to AWS certification lounges at AWS events
- Free practice exams
- A lot of free training material to help you prepare for the exam including digital and virtual classrooms
- Free sample questions and exam guide available
- A complete exam preparation interface that shows you what certificates you need to complete in order to qualify for the specialty exam
- The exam is available in four languages including English, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese.
The AWS big data specialty certification is priced at $300 which is justifiable considering the fact that it is a highly advanced certificate. It is a 170-minute full exam that consists of MCQs and multiple answer questions.
AWS Big Data Specialty Certification is the most advanced certificate in this list that has some tough prerequisites. It specifically deals with big data analysis using AWS technology. If you are working with AWS services and want to move to the next level, this is the best certification for you.
Upgrade Your Skills with the Right Data Analyst Certification
If you want to progress in your field, you don’t just need experience especially if you are in the data analytics field. The technology updates way too quickly and tools and services are upgraded now and then. You have to move at the same pace by acquiring new skills, learning new tools, and enriching your portfolio.
Data analyst certifications help you with this.
When you clear an exam and receive a certificate from a leading certification company (e.g. Microsoft, SAS, or Amazon), it endorses your skills that, otherwise, are hard to communicate.
It’s hard to explain to your employer that you can use AWS services and your boss might not believe you outright. But having a certification from Amazon will do the trick without you having to say anything at all.
The data analytics certification you choose must be relevant to your field and the tool you have experienced in. When selecting a data analyst certificate, focus on two things. First, the certificate must be relevant to the tool or services you are already using. Second, don’t acquire skills that you are using at your current job rather acquire advanced skills that will help you jump to the next level.
The right data analyst certification can change your career in no time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most common questions about data analytics certifications:
Which certification is best for a data analyst?
The best certification for a data analyst is the one that fits your career path best. A data analyst certification from a reputed data analytics institute like Data Camp can go a long way. Ideally, the best certification will teach you how to manage projects in a systematic fashion with quantitative analysis and qualitative methods to identify points of decision making.
How do I become a Certified Data Analyst?
To become a certified data analyst you should first learn data analytics and explore the different types of certifications available to you. Once you have chosen a certification, enroll in an institution that offers it.
Is a data analyst certification worth it?
A data analyst certification is worth it if you want to pursue a data analytics career and the certification fits your interests. Those who have data analytics certification often see a significant increase in salary.